Srinagar, July 15: The chairman of Jammu Kashmir Liberation Front, Muhammad Yasin Malik, on Wednesday reiterated that bilateral talks between India and Pakistan couldn’t yield any result till Kashmiris were recognized as a principal party to the dispute and were included in the process.Yasin Malik: Include Kashmiris in talks
July 16, 2009
Srinagar, July 15: The chairman of Jammu Kashmir Liberation Front, Muhammad Yasin Malik, on Wednesday reiterated that bilateral talks between India and Pakistan couldn’t yield any result till Kashmiris were recognized as a principal party to the dispute and were included in the process.Clinton: US Won’t Hesitate to Use Military Against Iran
July 16, 2009Not a Threat, It’s a Promise, Secretary of State Tells CFR
In a high-profile policy address before the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR), Secretary of State Hillary Clinton declared that the US wouldn’t not hesitate to use its military to “defend our friends, our interests, and above all, our people” during the segment discussing Iran.
She elaborated on the declaration with “this is not an option we seek nor is it a threat; it is a promise.” Clinton also warned Iran that the US offer to hold talks, which she had previously said she didn’t expect to work to begin with, would not be open-ended and that “our willingness to talk is not a sign of weakness.”
Today’s comments are the latest in a long line of bellicose rhetoric coming from the Secretary of State. Last month during a television interview she said that Iran was risking the possibility of a US invasion, citing the disastrous 2003 invasion of Iraq as a model.
The US has been demanding that the Iranian government abandon its civilian nuclear energy generation program, and several officials have claimed, despite a stark lack of evidence, that Iran is working on nuclear weapons. The IAEA has pointed out no evidence for the accusation exists, and America’s own National Intelligence Estimate says they don’t believe Iran has an active weapons program either.
Death squads and US democracy
July 16, 2009Bill Van Auken, wsws.org, 14 July 2009
The revelation that the CIA initiated a covert program, apparently involving assassinations, and kept it secret from the US Congress on the orders of Vice President Dick Cheney marks a deepening of the crisis in the American state apparatus and an indication of the degeneration of democratic processes within the US.
Last April, under the pressure of a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit, the Democratic administration of President Barack Obama was compelled to make public a series of previously classified memos issued by the Bush Justice Department which authorized acts of torture in chilling detail. The administration attempted to portray the public airing of these documents exposing crimes of the Bush administration as a signal of the new “openness” and “transparency” of the Obama White House.
At the same time, the White House made it clear that it had no intention of holding anyone accountable for these crimes, with Obama making a visit to CIA headquarters in Langley, Virginia to reassure those who supervised and carried out much of the torture that he meant them no harm.
Burying the crimes of the Bush administration in the past, however, has proven impossible, not only because of their grave character, but also because much of what was done has yet to be fully exposed and many of the same methods are continuing under Obama.
The way in which this latest revelation has emerged is highly revealing. It has come to the surface as a result of Obama’s CIA director, Leon Panetta, briefing congressional intelligence committees on the matter. The CIA director went to Congress to give the briefings on June 23—the day after he himself became aware of the secret program and ordered it terminated.
The Obama appointee supposedly in charge of America’s spy agency became aware of this operation only four months after assuming his post.
The implications are clear. The CIA maintained the secrecy ordered by Cheney even after the latter had left office, and continued to conceal the existence and nature of the covert operation not only from Congress, but from the Obama administration itself.
The exact nature of the secret program has yet to be made public either by the CIA or those members of Congress briefed by Panetta.
A report published in the Wall Street Journal Monday, citing three unnamed “former intelligence officials,” suggests that it was aimed at organizing the “targeted assassinations” of individuals deemed enemies of the United States in the so-called “global war on terrorism.” In other words, the CIA appears to have been organizing death squads.
“Amid the high alert following the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, a small CIA unit examined the potential for targeted assassinations of Al Qaeda operatives, according to the three former officials,” the Journal reports.
The Journal quotes one of the officials as saying, “It was straight out of the movies. It was like: Let’s kill them all.”
The description of this operation corresponds to charges made by investigative journalist Seymour Hersh earlier this year that the Bush administration had created an “executive assassination ring.”
Hersh, who said that he was writing a book based on his findings, linked the operation to the military’s Joint Special Operations Command, which frequently works in tandem with the CIA. “They do not report to anybody, except in the Bush-Cheney days, they reported directly to the Cheney office,” he said.
At the same time, there are suggestions that another facet of the program was the development of a spying program by the agency directed at American citizens and others within the United States itself. The CIA’s charter makes any such domestic operations illegal.
Hersh also pointed to this feature in a speech delivered at the University of Minnesota last March. He said, “After 9/11…the Central Intelligence Agency was very deeply involved in domestic activities against people they thought to be enemies of the state. Without any legal authority for it.”
The reaction of the Democratic administration and congressional leadership to these developments is predictably craven. The most vocal response was that of a group of House members who sought to twist Panetta’s words into an alibi for House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who disingenuously claimed in May that she had been lied to in a 2002 briefing about the CIA’s use of water-boarding and other torture methods against detainees. (See: “The lies of the CIA and Nancy Pelosi”)
Appearing on “Fox News Sunday,” the Democratic chairwoman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, Diane Feinstein of California, issued a tepid response to the revelations of the CIA program kept secret on the orders of Cheney. “We were kept in the dark,” she said. “That’s something that should never, ever happen again… because the law is very clear.”
Should never happen again? Feinstein’s reaction dovetails neatly with Obama’s demand that Washington “look forward and not backward,” thereby continuing the cover-up of the crimes of the Bush administration. If the “law is very clear,” then it was clearly broken by Cheney and top-ranking officials in the CIA in what amounts to a conspiracy against the American people, who are themselves still “in the dark.” Yet there is no suggestion that these crimes should be prosecuted.
One indication that at least some investigation is being considered came from Attorney General Eric Holder, who spoke extensively to Newsweek magazine. In an article posted on the magazine’s web site Sunday, Holder is quoted as saying that he was “shocked and saddened” after reading the still secret 2004 CIA inspector general’s report on the torture of detainees at CIA “black sites.”
Given the continuous revelations over the past several years, from Abu Ghraib to recent reports leaked from the Red Cross, to the testimony of men who passed through the hellish abuse at Bagram Air Base and Guantánamo Bay, if Holder was genuinely “shocked,” that can only mean that crimes more heinous still have yet to be revealed.
Any “independent probe” organized by the Justice Department—if it is forced to mount such an effort—will be so narrowly circumscribed as to ensure that those most responsible for torture and war crimes are never touched.
The end result is that the power of the state-within-a-state constituted by the intelligence agencies and the military continues its unimpeded growth, aided and abetted by the Democrats and the Obama White House.
This poses grave dangers to the working class. All of the crimes for which the CIA was infamous in an earlier period, earning it the title Murder Inc., are being reprised on an even bigger scale under conditions of an immense crisis of American and world capitalism and unprecedented social polarization within the US itself.
The existence of a secret program involving assassination and domestic surveillance—concealed from Congress on Cheney’s orders even under the new administration—carries with it the threat that death squads and political repression will be employed against domestic opposition and, above all, any independent movement of workers against the rising unemployment and falling living standards created by the profit system.
The settling of accounts with the crimes of the Bush administration and the struggle to prevent even greater crimes being carried out both at home and abroad can be prosecuted only by an independent political movement of the working class based on a socialist and internationalist perspective. A key task of such a movement is the defense of democratic rights. That includes the prosecution of Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld and all those responsible for the crimes of torture and aggressive war.
Israel: Old lies no longer work
July 16, 2009Israel has been knocked off balance by the publication of its own troops’ exposure of the war crimes ordered and carried out during the murderous assault on Gaza just over six months ago.
The zionist establishment has had a ready retort to previous allegations of atrocities, dismissing them as Palestinian propaganda.
But it cannot rely on this convenient fallback position when it is Tel Aviv’s own armed forces who have been disgusted by what they themselves have seen and heard.
It is a bit rich of an Israeli Defence Force spokeswoman to complain about “anonymous, generalised testimony” and failure to give the IDF, “as a matter of minimal fairness, the opportunity to check the matters and respond to them before publication.”
Human rights organisations have consistently supplied evidence of Israeli security forces mistreating or killing civilians, including children, and the political/military response has always been the same.
There is the initial denial that a crime has taken place, usually accompanied by some variant of Defence Minister Ehud Barak’s sickening claim that the IDF “is one of the most ethical armies in the world and acts in accordance with the highest moral code.”
After outright denial comes reference to an official investigation, which invariably reports that the Israeli security forces are innocent of all charges.
Armies acting in accordance with the highest moral code do not coerce civilians into acting as human shields, forcing them to enter buildings which may contain combatants or booby traps.
They do not launch artillery or aerial bombing raids on built-up, populated areas where it is inevitable that civilian casualties will be caused.
They do not use white phosphorus shells in populated areas for the same reason.
Nor do they engage in wanton demolition of homes, workplaces and places of worship simply to create free-fire zones and minimise the capacity of those resisting invasion to hide and return fire.
Israel denies overreaction, yet the casualty figures tell their own story, with over 1,400 Palestinian dead – the IDF says 1,166 – as opposed to 10 Israeli soldiers and three civilians, and four of the 10 soldiers were killed by Israeli fire.
The Palestinian Centre for Human Rights has recorded the deaths of 906 non-combatants, including 288 children under the age of 16, while Tel Aviv asserts a death toll for Palestinian fighters of about twice that for non-combatants, which flies in the face of historical experience from previous military onslaughts against heavily populated areas.
However, as atrocious as Israel’s actions were, the muted response of its allies in the US and the European Union has been more nauseating.
Britain’s cancellation of five contracts, out of 182 current military licences, to supply parts to Israel for its Sa’ar missile boats is insulting in its niggardliness.
It is a meaningless token that gives the green light to Israel to continue its slaughter, ethnic cleansing and colonisation of conquered Arab land.
And it will serve as a reaffirmation for those who declare that Western governments such as our own are hostile to Muslims and who therefore justify terrorist attacks against our citizens.
Britain is already perceived as part of the problem, given that our Prime Minister is a patron of the Jewish National Fund, the property arm of the World Zionist Organisation, which is dedicated to securing land in the occupied territories for settlement by Jews only. It is intrinsic to Israel’s expansionism.
Support for the Palestinian people’s national rights is an essential contribution to the struggle for global peace and justice.
‘Get up you ape’ – video reveals abuse of Iraqi prisoners by British soldier
July 15, 2009• Footage shown at inquiry into detainee’s death
• UK troops in Basra ‘used illegal stress techniques’
- Richard Norton-Taylor
- guardian.co.uk, Monday 13 July 2009 21.59 BST
At its opening in London, the inquiry into the death of the hotel receptionist heard fresh evidence about how he and eight other civilians seized by British troops in Basra in September 2003 were abused by interrogation methods that had been condemned over decades by successive governments.
Israel abusing Palestinian female prisoners
July 15, 2009Middle East Online, First Published 2009-07-15

![]()
Beatings, insults, threats, and humiliation techniques
Pregnant prisoners chained to beds as others subjected to torture, sexual harassment in Israeli jails.
TEL AVIV – A Palestinian human rights group slammed Israeli treatment of Palestinian female prisoners in a UN-sponsored report released on Wednesday, saying pregnant women are often shackled on their way to hospitals to give birth.
The women prisoners are held in “Israeli prisons and detention centres which were designed for men and do not respond to female needs,” said a report by the Addameer Prisoner Support and Human Rights Association, which was sponsored by the United Nations Development Fund for Women (UNIFEM).
Pregnant detainees “do not enjoy preferential treatment in terms of diet, living space or transfer to hospitals,” it said. “Pregnant prisoners are also chained to their beds until they enter delivery rooms and shackled once again after giving birth.
“The unbalanced diet, insufficient amounts of protein-rich foods, lack of natural sunlight and movement, poor ventilation and moisture all contribute to the exacerbation and the development of health problems such as skin diseases, anaemia, asthma, prolonged stomach aches, joint and back pains.”
In addition, the majority of the prisoners were “subjected to some form of mental pressure and torture through the process of their arrest,” including beatings, insults, threats, sexual harassment and humiliation techniques.
The vast majority of Palestinian women in Israeli prisons are young — some 13 percent of those arrested in 2007-2008 were under the age of 18 and 56 percent were between 20 and 30 years of age.
The detainees are often denied means to study, which violates their rights to a higher education and suffer from restrictions on visits.
In September 2008, some 60 percent had at least one family member who was not allowed to visit them. Open visits were restricted to mothers once their children reached the age of six.
Female prisoners with a husband or other relatives also in jail were “accorded the right to family visits… after months of delays.”
In addition, the Israeli prison authorities do not provide gender-sensitive rehabilitation programmes, it said.
The report was based on interviews with 125 Palestinian women who were arrested, detained or imprisoned in Israeli jails between November 2007 and November 2008. Of those, some 65 remain in prison — part of some 9,000 Palestinians currently incarcerated in Israel.
A spokesman for the Israeli prison authorities said he was not aware of the report and could not comment.




Background to Uighur unrest
July 16, 2009Nick Holdstock, Edinburgh Review | Eurozine, July 12, 2009
The city at the empire’s edge
On 5 February 1997, something happened in Yining, a small border town in northwest China. There was definitely a march, possibly a riot, maybe even a massacre. There were certainly shootings, injuries and deaths.
When you finally reach Yining, after two days on a train from Beijing, then another day on a bus, you will see the same broad streets lined with twostorey, white-tiled buildings that exist in every town in China. You can buy the same pirate DVDs, engine parts, strips of beef suffocated in plastic as you would elsewhere. You will recognise the men with short black hair in blue or black cheap suits, one hand hovering close to their pager, the other holding a cigarette of almost prohibitive strength. There will be overcrowded buses, red taxis with their fare lights on, men and women squatting, waiting, cracking sunflower seeds. Never mind that the sky’s unusually blue, that once, between a gap in the buildings, you glimpse a line of white-toothed mountains. By the time you reach the town square you will have forgotten that Kazakhstan is less than an hour away.
Continued >>
Share this:
Tags: Amnesty International report, bombings, China, Chinese rule, executions, Han Chinese, Nick Holdstock, riots, Sunni Muslims, Uighur language, Xinjiang Uighur Autonomous region, XPCC
Posted in China, Commentary, Human rights, Muslims, Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »